Friday, September 21, 2007

I guess it is time

Well, this blog has been saturated with info from the Brooks and I think there had to be more than just one person on the blog. He should really just change the name to Germanybrooks or something like that. We are not taking trips every weekend. It is actually really busy here. I have duty every fifth night when I have to stay at the hospital and take care of dental emergencies. Most of the stuff is stupid. It is a lot of family members that are not covered for dental work so it is limited what you are going to do. Maybe you do a pulpectomy or extract a tooth but your treatment option are limited because if the tooth is not totally hopeless you hate to just get rid of it. It is nice because you do see a lot of avulsed teeth and other luxation injuries that I would have had little idea of what to do with if I had just been out in practice. There was a guy that came in the middle of the night last saturday that had fallen and collided with a barstool. Well, it won and he ended up with some pretty nasty lacerations and avulsed #9. Well, his alcohol level was .315, that is like 4 times the legal limit and should be toxic to him. He was passed out and showed up with random people who just left him there so that was a lot of fun trying to get a HPI on him. Anyway, we did not put the tooth back but it was a decent case to manage for the experience of it.  I have also managed a few mandibular body fxs and some condylar fxs. Mostly we are just thrown around to do different rotations that is all great experience, there is just a lot of class time in the afternoons a few days a week that gets old. But, I am learning a ton and I am sure I will keep getting a lot of knowledge. The weather is awesome here and the kids are getting a ton better at swimming.  There is a pool in our neighborhood and so we go down there a lot. Hayden swam 75 yards straight the other day. Three laps all on his own with only a short rest between laps. I was amazed since he could not swim at all when we got here. Well, that is it for me, here is a link to our families blog with pictures and stuff.  Hope all is well with all of you guys. Take care. http://web.mac.com/stinch/Stinchfield_Site/Welcome.html

4 comments:

Aaron and Carissa said...

Wow, you didn't put back #9? sucks to be him! I kind of wish I had done an AEGD or GPR now, it would have been nice to get some extra training. I feel like there are a lot of things that I've just never seen before. Oh well, I probably would have done it if it had counted as a year of payback.

Tom said...

yeah, you would have. I am telling you, the tooth had been out for like 4 hours dry, and he was out of it.

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

Aaron -- what your not missing out about a PGY1 is the pimping. There's nothing worse then seeing a patient on duty, then presenting what you did in quarters and being grilled by the oral surgeon. I swear our Oral Surgeons are walking encycopedias. 80% of the time it's not a pretty sight a lot.

Tom -- I've had a couple of patients like that, was he a wimp or just so piss drunk he didn't even care. My last Marine like that was totally out of it during treatment, then on consective follow ups visits he was the wimpest marine I'd ever seen. He asked if he could be placed in restaints. I told him he just had to sit on his hands. What a fraidy cat! I'll never forget that kid. It's like he was in the Army b/c you'd just expect that. Any way I wrote him a Rx for "10 cc's of SUCK IT UP" instead of vicodin.
Anyway, I'm rambling, let me in as a contributor, as long as I'm not you know who. (?)
Anyone have Chet's info?
Rob

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

I renig my request to have admistrative rights to this site. Not too much business and if I write anything I want to be heard.
Rob